Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Holiday Job

Did you have an after school job as a teenager? What kind of job was it? What were you paid? What is your best and worst memory of the job?

I didn't have an after school job as a teenager but I did have a job in the holidays, especially the very long christmas holidays. When I was 15 dad got me a job at Pyne Gould Guinness in the mailroom. Essentially it was putting monthly statements & invoices in envelopes to send out to the clients. There was also a twice daily pick up & drop off of mail around the different departments of the building. It was actually quite fun & there is nothing better than the very first time you get a pay check. I was getting $5 an hour & I really thought I was made.

After a few years I moved from the mailroom to the accounts department & was helping out the accounts payable team. I really enjoyed the diversity of the jobs & they stood me in good stead for getting the other full time jobs that I have had. No real aspect of the job stands out as really bad or really good. It was just good to have a job & get some money.

1 comment:

Beachcomber said...

Sounds like the job was a great learning experience and paved the way for later jobs.