Monday, April 16, 2007

Reading, a favourite pastime

What was your favorite pastime as a child? Did you prefer doing it alone, or with someone else?

It was probably reading. I loved reading & found it was a good way to get away from the people around me if I wanted. I loved Winnie the Pooh being read to me but as I got older I loved to read to myself. I read Millie Molly Mandy, Famous Five, Secret Seven & Trixie Beldon. Most of those titles have several books in the sequence, so they could keep me amused for hours. What I didn't like was reading the same book twice & even now I can't stand reading a book more than once.

I still love reading although I don't get as much time to read now. I have found though that I have to read a few pages, or a chapter a night before switching off my light at night. I can't seem to get to sleep if I haven't read a few pages before turning off the light. It must be a time when my brain switches off from what I have been doing during the day, & the worries about what has to be done in the future.

I love historical romances, family sagas & the odd action adventure. The one type that I won't read is horror stories. The one problem I have is working out where to put all the books I have read. My aunt & I did a swap a while ago which is wonderful, but now I still have books sitting around, that I am wondering what to do with. Maybe I will just have to put them all together in a big lot & list them on trademe.

4 comments:

loonyhiker said...

Reading is still my favorite pastime. I can really lose myself in a good adventure/romance. It is my way of escaping.

Karen said...

Georgette Heyer os one of my favourite historical romance authors Katrina. i have all her books, including her mystery novels and her biography. And yes, I do read them over and over again.

Mel said...

I love reading. Luckily so does Dh and the kids - we own zillions of books and give away heaps. DH buys one or two every week from TradeMe.

I loved Trixie Beldon - had all the first 26 books before I grew out of them. Bitterly disappointed that when I left home I let Mum give them away. DD would love them (I think!)

Jenny said...

Oh I also love reading and have to read a bit at night before I go to sleep. The problem is that sometimes I can't put the book down! Also read Famous Five, Secret Seven and Carolyn Keene - was she the teenage girl detective?