Monday, March 19, 2007

My mottos

What would your motto would be for the place you're at in your life right now? Is it different than it would have been five years ago? 10? 20?

My motto right now would be "take the time to be me." I have been stuck in the "mum" rut for what feels like a long time (really only 7 years) but it is time to take some time for me. This includes making time to exercise, taking Friday mornings as mine & doing what I want to do. I am hoping that by doing this I will finally get to the motto I have always wanted to live by "love yourself flaws & all." The first step to loving myself though is finding out who I am. I have played a lot of roles in my life but I am really not sure that I know who I am.

My motto five years ago would have been "one day at a time". Keep plodding onwards & soon I'll get time to myself.

10 years ago I was probably still adjusting to having another person permanently in my life for better or worse, in sickness & in health. I'm not sure I had a motto back then.

20 years ago I did have a motto though. I had just left home for the first time to go to university. I was a shy person (I still am, but to a lesser extent) so I made this motto to help me get through the meeting of different people & living a totally different life in a city 400kms away from home, "you are worth knowing". I had to say that motto to myself everytime I went down to the dining room of the hall of residence that I was living in. If I didn't say it to myself I would sit very quietly & eat my meal, not saying a word to anyone & then leave as quietly as I entered, like a ghost.

In some ways I think I need to have that first motto in my life again because I am finding that I don't think I am worth knowing at the moment. I don't do anything exciting in my life, I don't work outside of the house, I don't bring in an income every week. I'm starting to feel like I have nothing of interest to say to anyone.

Take time to be me. Take time to know myself. Take time to learn who I am.

3 comments:

Denise said...

I just read another article on how parents need me time to keep from burning out. So, you're with the times on that motto.

loonyhiker said...

Great mottos. It's important for you to find time for yourself. I lost all my hair due to stress about 18 years ago until I learned to take care of myself.

Karen said...

That's a great philosophy Katrina. And what's even better is that you're implementing practical things in your life to help you live it. That's what reall makes the difference. Good on you.