Friday, February 02, 2007

Technology

Blog Prompt : What technological discoveries are bridging the gap between generations in your family? Are you teaching your parents or are your kids teaching you?

I don't think I am teaching my mother, my sister is doing that. I don't need to teach my dad as he is up with the play on technology. So are the kids teaching me? Not really but I do find it amazing the technology that children have available to them today.

Scott & I were talking about what to take to Hanmer for the weekend. I said that they don't have a phone in the holiday home so there will be no internet access, but there is a TV. They don't have SKY so the boys will be limited to the 4 or 5 free to view channels. They hire out DVD players so if we have the cables we could take the portable DVD player up there & plug it into the TV so that the boys can watch the DVD on the TV screen instead of the little screen.

All of these things are new technology. When I was the same age as Brent sure we had a TV but it probably only ever had 1 channel & it may have been black & white still. DVD was not in existence & pay for view TV sure wasn't available in NZ. We would go outside & play instead of sitting & watching tv.

I am really hoping that the weather in Hanmer will be kind to us so I can send the boys outside to play, so we can go walking or biking through the forest. Luckily the geothermal pools are open all year round & are fantastic no matter what temperature it is outside.

Have a wonderful weekend everybody & Happy Birthday Robin.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gosh, I remember before microwaves (funny that should pop into my head now). I have found, at least with my granddaughter, that even with all the technology available, most times she prefers to be outside or playing with her dolls.